Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Day 1 36 Meals for $30

Pre Day 1

The evening before we started this three day event was going to be crucial. The meal plan had already changed as I was unable to afford chicken that only a few days earlier was $0.66 a pound. The chicken was going to be the base of our meals as a meal, the extra meat would add sustenance to salads and pizza, the rest was be used for a soup.

The night before we started I prepared to make a huge salad that would be stored in a large plastic container. ½ a head of lettuce and red leaf lettuce made the base of this salad. A tomato, and half of all the vegetables I purchased were used to give the salad flavor, texture and color. Everything was put in a large container for future meals.

Next task was to make the home made syrup for the pancakes. 2 cups of water and one sliced apple are brought to a boil and then simmered for a couple minutes before the cup of sugar I purchased at the store is added. I thickened it with some cornstarch and vanilla. This gave me three days worth of apple flavored syrup.

Day 1
Here we go, let the adventure in food begin. The Morning began with the adults eating a combined ¾ cup of quick oats with raisins and a little brown sugar. Since the kids are on summer vacation I let them sleep in for a while. My plan was to make a batch of 12 pancakes which would give them each 3 pancakes with home made syrup. The batch would last 2 days.

Lunch was a simple homemade cheese pizza with salad. The pizza sauce was a combination of 1 tomato, garlic clove, a little bit of red onion, oregano, and vegetable oil. Blend until smooth and spread on the home made pizza dough.

Late snack was leftover pizza slices or an apple. We did make a small loaf of bread during the afternoon to have with our dinner.

Dinner was spaghetti with cooked ground pork seasoned with butter oregano and basil. It was simple and filling.

The Scratch is our newest book about feeding a family on a budget. we have made this free book available to help familes like ours get started with three simple dinner meals. These three meals will help you save big dollars when you are ready to start budgeting.

If you would like a copy all you have to do is email me. I understand privacy is a concern for everybody and I promise that I will not share your email with anyone. Everything we do is done manually. I will check my email  a couple times a day and send you a pdf file.

The Book is free and you can share it with anybody you like as long as you do not try to sell it.

Simply put "The Scratch" in your subject line and sent to: rickjhenderson@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment