Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Feeding a Family - Making BBQ Chicken Lunch Meat

The deli can provide the consumer with an abundance of different meats, flavors, thickness of slice, high sodium, lower sodium no fat, low fat, etc... a perfect place to find the quick and easy fillers for two pieces of bread. Quick and easy also are known to be very expensive. Many deli meats range in price from $7.00 to $9.00 per pound. They come packaged in resealable bags or containers so you can keep your meat fresh for a couple days.

Try making your own lunch meat after reading this blog. If feeding your family good quality food is your goal, then keep reading.

Yesterday I purchase chicken thighs with the leg attached. I like this meat because it cooks well and will be more forgiving even if you over do it a little. The other reason for picking thighs and legs is the price. At my local grocery store this kind of chicken costs $0.74 a pound.

A pound of deli meat will cost approximately $9.89 a pound. My purchased of $9.07 worth of chicken is comparable to the amount of deli meat I used to buy before going on a budget.

I have simply put the chicken on the bbq skin side up to cook on low (275F) for the next couple hours. Try to minimize how many times you turn the chicken, meat tends not to stick to the grill when it is done cooking on one side.

Let the chicken cool is something big without a lid, I used my roaster.
To separate the meat from the bones and skin I just used my fingers, slow roasted chicken will pull away from the skin and bones with ease.

The bone and skin do not go to waste. I put them in my slow cooker with onions, carrots, salt, poultry seasoning. Top the slow cooker with water and forget about it for a couple hours. I leave mine cooking o low overnight and in the morning strain.

This leaves me with 10 cups of chicken broth for soups, polenta, rice, pizza dough, etc... If you are not going to use the broth right away freeze it in containers. Once frozen transfer them to a freezer bag so you can use your containers for other foods.
You can get a free copy of our book "The Scratch" by sending an email to rickjhenderson@hotmail.com I won't share your email with anybody. The Scratch is about making three great meals to feed your family for under $17

No comments:

Post a Comment