Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Kitchen The Burger Challenge

On the weekend I decided to give myself another challenge. Much like the T.V. show Survivor, I added a challenge that I think is appropriate to this blog. The challenge is to recreate a meal that we would normally eat when going out to a restaurant. This recreation could be from a fast food chain to a high end eatery. I have to complete this challenge while staying within my budget of $100 a week to feed the family. This may mean substitutions of things such as filet being replaced with ribeye as an example.

My first challenge was to take on In n Out burger. We normally eat 4 double double combos three with onions. The price tag is $23.00 plus tax. Tax differs from state to state so for this challenge I am only looking at the price.

I went to the grocery store and picked up all the ingredients I needed, hamburger buns, lettuce, tomato, onion, egg, Kraft American cheese slices, 1 pound of 80/20 hamburger, potatoes, 4 litres of coke product.

I made 8 patties using my old tupperware patty maker. We sliced the onion and  tomatoes. The thousand island dressing and mayo were such small quantities that I added $0.25 to my final total for condiments. I used a sharp kitchen knife to make the french fries. I already have a fryer with oil so I did not count the oil as an expense.

The end result was we were able to make our double double meal combo for $13.74. This created a significant saving of $9.24 compared to the $23 we would of had to pay.  I still like In N out but while on budget this will have to do.

Feel free to comment if you think I could do better or if you have suggestions from your favorite restaurant that I should try.
You can read the details of my Burger challenge at Ezinearticles titled "Having a Restaurant in My Home."

No comments:

Post a Comment